Friday, September 16, 2011

Differences Between a C paper And an A paper?!

There is a HUGE difference between an A paper and a C paper. We always want to aim for the A but there are three qualities we need to understand in doing so.
These three qualities are:
  1. Structure and organization
  2. Focus
  3. Grammar   
-------------------------------------------------

1) Structure and organization is highly, I mean highly important!!! You need to have your ideas well organized so it's not all over the paper. Your paper needs to have an introduction, body paragraph and a conclusion.
  • Introduction- Introduce your topic with a brief summary on what's your paper about.
  • Body paragraph- State and support your ideas
  • Conclusion- Wrap up all your ideas with a good ending 

Without organization your paper will not flow from sentence to sentence. If your paper has bad or no structure and organization well you might as well throw that baby in the trash if you think your going to get an A with that! 


2) Your paper needs to focus on your main idea that you are trying to show to your audience. This is where you need to go into detail and really focus on each of the point you are trying to make. 


A C paper example:

  • I walked my dog today and got hit with a car. I hate wearing a cast. Great my birthday is coming up. Oh my life sucks. I have school tomorrow. I hate rain.
Now you see how the sentences aren't focus at all, also they are lacking details. Plus it's all over the place!! Now let's see if we can fix this. Now this is an A paper.!

  • I was walking my dog today in the cold rain and out of nowhere a truck came speeding down on Kimball street. I was grateful that my dog ran out the way but unfortunately I wasn't lucky. I got hit and now I have to wear a cast for three weeks and my birthday is coming up. Oh my life sucks right now. 
See how the sentences are focused and go into detail on what happened to the person. Remember you need to focus your ideas one by one you cant't just jump from place to place. If you state something important make sure you focus on it instead of getting off subject. So stay on topic!

***OH VERY IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR AUDIENCE AND PURPOSE SET FOR YOUR PAPER MAKE SURE TO FOCUS ON THOSE SPECIFIC ITEMS!

3) Proper grammar is needed for an A paper. If your paper has so many spelling mistakes and other grammatical errors it just shows your audience that you didn't take your time to write a good paper. So why should the audience suffer?? Seriously you need to grow up at a point and learn to fix your mistakes!! A little bit harsh right? Well that's life get over it. If your paper has so much grammar mistakes your reader will be more focused on that then your paper. In other words it distracts your reader!

C paper example:

  • Do you need anything from the store mom that was the last thing that came out my mouth before that car pulled up right next to me and shot ma brother. Their where three guys in that white van. 

Noticed the mistakes yet? Lets's make changes....
A paper example:
Do you need anything from the store mom? That was the last thing that came out my mouth before a car pulled up right next to me and shot my brother. There were three guys in that white van.

Just make sure you have someone reread your paper to see if they can catch the mistakes you didn't notice. Peer review is your friend!

--------------
The most easiest thing for me is focus because I don't have trouble staying on topic. I always make sure that my sentences flow smoothly together. What I have trouble with sometimes is grammar because I tend to make many mistakes without noticing until someone points it out. But in general I don't have a problem writing a paper I just happen to lack details many times. It's not that hard to write a good paper just makes sure you put work in it.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you organized your blog and set it up. it flows easily and isn't all crammed together. I also like your examples about the difference between an A and a C paper. The one about walking your dog was quite funny. You also explained well how the examples were different and which ways were better or worse.
    However, you did have some grammatical errors in your writing which should have been checked for

    ReplyDelete